What Types of Damages Are Available in Auto Accident Cases?
In auto accident cases, various types of damages may be available to compensate the injured party for their losses. Damages can be divided into two main categories: economic and non-economic damages. The specific types of damages available can vary depending on the circumstances of the accident and the laws in your jurisdiction.
Some types of damages that may be available in a car accident lawsuit are:
- Recovery for medical expenses: You may be compensated for the cost of medical treatment if you have sustained injuries in your car accident. This includes hospital bills, surgery, rehabilitation, prescription medications, and any other healthcare-related expenses. This may also include future medical expenses if ongoing treatment is required.
- Lost earnings: If your car accident caused an injury that jeopardizes your ability to work, you may be able to recover the wages or income you have lost due to the accident. This can include both past and future earnings if the accident has a long-term impact on your ability to work.
- Property damage: You may be able to get reimbursement for the repair or replacement of your vehicle and any other personal property damaged in the accident.
- Pain and suffering: You may be able to financially recover for the physical and emotional pain and suffering experienced as a result of the accident. This is a subjective type of damage and can vary depending on the severity of the injuries and their impact on your life.
- Punitive damages: The primary purpose of punitive damages is to punish the wrongdoer and deter similar conduct in the future. Punitive damages are rarely awarded but will be if the court finds that the at-fault party's conduct is particularly reckless, intentional, or negligent.
If you are involved in an auto accident, you should always consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to understand your rights and the potential damages you may be entitled to receive. An attorney can help you navigate the complicated legal process and pursue fair compensation for your losses.
Lakeland, Florida Car Accident Lawyers
Each year, despite improvements to vehicle safety features, road designs, traffic signs, and pedestrian corridors, car accidents still occur. Lakeland, Florida is no exception. Car accidents, truck accidents, and commercial vehicle accidents can occur. When they do occur, it is important to first seek medical attention and then think about contacting a Florida car accident attorney.
Several common causes of Lakeland car accidents are:
- Distracted drivers such as drivers who are talking on the phone or texting while driving
- Drunk drivers or drivers under the influence of drugs
- Reckless driving like excessive speeding
- Adverse weather conditions such as heavy rain or fog
- Mechanical failure such as unknown engine or electrical issues
An auto accident attorney can also help you if you have been injured in a motorcycle crash or in an accident involving a commercial vehicle.
Additionally, there are certain areas in Lakeland that have a history of serious car accidents. One such area is the junction of U.S. 98 North and Griffin Road, notorious for its hazards. In a single year, this intersection witnessed a staggering 79 traffic accidents. Additional perilous intersections include Massachusetts Ave. and Memorial Blvd., with 45 crashes that year, and South Florida Ave. and West Edgewood Extension, which experienced 41 collisions.