What Do Car Accident Damages Cover?
Accidents can cause serious injuries and losses, which aren’t always covered by standard insurance policies. Filing a legal action for a car accident can help you and your family recover damages for:
- Urgent care expenses
- Emergency room bills
- Expenses associated with neurosurgeons and other specialists
- Costs of ongoing rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Lost work wages
- Loss of the ability to generate income in the future
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship of a loved one
- Wrongful death expenses, if needed
The ability to collect such damages depends on many factors, including the severity of the injuries and the liability of the various parties involved.
The amount of damages awarded can also depend on your attorney’s ability to effectively represent you in a court of law. As such, it’s important to work with a law firm that has proven verdict and settlement results.
What Types of Injuries are Common After a Car Wreck?
Car accidents can involve tremendous amounts of force, even at lower speeds. In any car accident, there is the potential for serious injury. These types of injuries can include:
Many of these injuries can have long-term effects and may lead to lifelong changes. For instance, a brain injury can cause a person to lose various functions to the point where they can’t work or live a normal life anymore.
Thus, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately if you’ve been in a car accident. You’ll also want to get in touch with an auto accident lawyer as soon as possible, so they can begin compiling evidence and medical records for your claim.
Car accidents can send out rippling effects that will touch nearly every aspect of your life. Don’t let an accident overload you with financial and emotional stress. Contact us today for a free consultation. It’s our job to handle phone calls, paperwork, and forms, so you don’t have to.
5 Factors That Influence the Worth of a Car Accident Claim
Every case is different, the value of a car accident claim will depend on many factors. You should contact a lawyer who can help you understand what elements might influence your case’s worth.
The analysis and expertise of a lawyer is far more valuable than numbers generated from an online “accident calculator” or other tools. Only an experienced lawyer can provide a reliable estimate.
The overall worth of a car accident will depend on the following five factors:
- Severity of the injuries: The more severe the injuries you sustained, the higher your case is likely to be valued. The court will examine the type of treatment you need, how long recovery will take, and whether you lost a family member or loved one because of wrongful death.
- Medical bills: All medical expenses that you must pay in connection with your accident will be taken into consideration when evaluating your case. Specifically, high-cost items like surgeries, specialist treatments, medications, and recurring therapy will be calculated into your damages award.
- Work-related losses: A car accident may cause you to miss work while you recover, and this will be factored into your case amount. Beyond this, a car accident can permanently limit your ability to earn income in the future, such as when you lose mobility or loss of motor functions. Long-term losses like these will be figured into your case as well.
- Pain and suffering: Non-tangible or non-physical damage is also a factor that affects how much your case is worth. Car accidents can cause deep mental distress, intense pain, and conditions like stress, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Other intangible costs such as scarring or disfigurement will be considered.
- Vehicle and property damage: Any damage to your vehicle or other property may factor into your case, especially if insurance will not cover the value. Compensation for property damage may increase if the other driver was under the influence or driving extremely recklessly.
Without the assistance of an attorney, you may miss many of these points while handling your own claim. Thus, it is highly recommended that you contact a lawyer so that all points of recovery will be included in your claim.
What Are Common Types of Car Accidents, and How Do They Happen?
Car accidents can come in many forms and may occur in many different ways. The following are common types of accidents that our car accident lawyers handle:
These types of accidents are usually the result of one driver following too closely to another vehicle. They can happen due to other issues as well, such as distracted driving, impaired vision, or over-loaded cargo.
Rear-end crashes result in serious injuries, including whiplash, spinal cord injuries, concussions, and injuries to the face. Pain may often be felt in the lower back, neck, and shoulders.
Head-on collisions are often called “wrong-way accidents.” They often occur when one driver is impaired and has entered the wrong way on a freeway or side street. They can also happen if someone makes a wide turn or turns in front of traffic, or if the driver is not paying attention on a multiple-lane road.
These types of accidents can lead to particularly severe injury due to the force of impact, and are often fatal.
These accidents happen when one car strikes another perpendicularly. They typically happen when one driver runs a red light or drives through an intersection without stopping when required to do so. This often results in severe injury to passengers.
These happen when a car rolls or flips over onto its side or upside-down. This is more common with trucks and SUVs, which have a higher center of gravity. They are especially common when a vehicle is struck from the side, or when an accident causes the car to roll over into a ditch. A vehicle can also roll over multiple times, presenting extreme danger to the driver and passengers.
This is when one car bumps into another, usually due to an improper lane change. They can cause rollovers and may be the start of more major pile-up accidents where several vehicles are involved. Sideswipe impacts can also startle the driver and cause them to lose control.
Regardless of the type of accident involved, the car crash attorneys at Osborne & Francis have the experience and resources to properly investigate the matter in order to determine liability.